Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Memoirs


Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan opens with: "It's not that I don't like people. It's just that when I'm in the company of others -- even my nearest and dearest -- there always come a moment when I'd rather be reading a book." Right away, I knew I had found a kindred spirit in Corrigan, who reviews books for NPR and The Washington Post. Her memoir is that of a book lover. She's also a professor of literature, and at times the book becomes a bit too academic, but overall an engrossing read -- for those of us who love to read. Rating: A.



Personal History by Katharine Graham. For a long time, I put this off (maybe because it's a long book). Then I found an audiobook copy at the library. Even though I own a copy of her book, I went with the audiobook (so much easier at times!). The book is long, and at times slow, but her personal life was more interesting and complicated than I would have thought. I met Graham in 1985, as an intern at the Post, and she seemed so poised and self-assured. Interesting to read then that, as one of the first women publishers, she was unsure of herself and her decisions for many years. Yes, there's some interesting insights into journalism in this book, but really it's her life that's more interesting. Rating: A+

No comments: