Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frank McCourt dies


A few years ago, shortly after Angela's Ashes was published, I went to a standing-room only event to hear Frank McCourt read from his book. I hadn't read the book yet and came away feeling he was a lovely man -- down-to-earth, warm and funny. Then I read the book, and it was one of the most moving stories I've read -- all the more powerful for being real. I'm saddened by his death, yet also heartened that late in life he was able to share a story, one that was embraced by so many people. While it revolved around an Irish family, the themes that ran through this story were universal. In fact, if I were asked to name 10 modern classics, Angela's Ashes would be at the top.

1 comment:

Anna said...

So sad. I loved his books.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric